I completed the ladies' slip challenge project this weekend! I am fortunate enough to have a friend who wears the exact pattern size, and who needed a slip for her lingerie dress, so the project with no alterations went together fairly quickly. I chose to stick with tradition and make the slip of cotton batiste with cotton lace trim, all of which are available from Newark Dressmaker's Supply. I also opted to use modern machine heirloom sewing techniques to construct the slip, instead of following the given directions exactly. This involved making French seams, instead of the flat, clipped ones asked for, and inserting the lace, as instructed, but after cutting and pressing the fabric on the back side of the garment, using a narrow, close zigzag to topstitch the edges where the lace joins the fabric. After I'd finished zigzagging, I trimmed away the raw fabric edges on the wrong side of the slip. My last deviation to the given directions involved using flat lace edging , instead of gathered trim and an eyelet beading to thread a pale blue ribbon through at the neckline. Although the pleats on the flounce are not all perfectly uniform, I really like the look of the finished product. A good pressing with light spray starch finished the slip beautifully! I am pleased with this pattern and will probably use it to make another slip in my size.
Sunday, March 11, 2012
I received the pattern for the slip last week. Yeah! I am really looking forward to this challenge project. I have white cotton batiste an a lot of cotton lace, and plenty of enthusiasm! Currently, I am working on white outfits for the four beautiful children of a good friend. One is a first communion dress, one a christening outfit, and the other two are for Easter. There are two boys, one a year old and one 6, and two girls, ages 4 and 8. This has been a great incentive for me to get out my Sew Beautiful magazines and jump back into heirloom sewing, something I've loved for years! There is nothing quite as ethereal as a delicate, vintage confection of sheer white cotton and fine laces.
The girls' dresses are reproductions of an Edwardian dress featured in the magazine years ago. They consist of an underdress with fitted bodice and a loose over blouse, all with lots of lace insertion and tucks, using the same batiste and laces I'll use on my slip later. The dresses are today's project. I'll post pictures of the garments when I've finished them.